Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Low-Carb Mashed Potatoes...

Sike! Silly rabbit, there is no such thing as a low-carb potato, so sorry if I got you excited. However, the other night I made a really nice substitution that had the same "comforting feeling" as a creamy batch of mashed potatoes. And I could eat the whole pot if I wanted to....and in my usual greedy fashion, I wanted to and finished the job.

CAULIFLOWER. By itself, it's an okay vegetable. It's one of those vegetables that you never here the waiter mention as the "vegetable of the day", it's rarely on my grocery list, but I can deal with it as long as carrots and broccoli are mixed in with it. But Sunday afternoon after reading a bunch of Atkins success stories, I had a low-carb vision of my new body. Although I'm not following Atkins, I decided to incorporate some of the high-protein, low-carb practices into my routine. And before I knew I was giving thanks to the good ole' cruciferous flower bud that only contains goodness (per half cup):
  • 15 calories 
  • 0 saturated fat 
  • 0 cholesterol 
  • 15mg sodium 
  • 3g carbs 
  • 1g fiber 
  • 1g sugar 
  • and loaded with vitamin C! (45% of your daily needed value) 

Here's the Sunday Night Cauliflower Special recipe! I'm sure it's good on the other nights of the week :)
  • 1- 1 lb bag of frozen or fresh cauliflower
  • 1- 3oz package of cream cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Boil the cauliflower for about 15 min, till it gets really soft. Then place the cream cheese in a separate bowl. When the cauliflower is nice and soft, drain the excess water, and poor the hot cauliflower in the bowl with the cream cheese. Mix thoroughly until smooth, or you can keep a little chunky....it's whatever you like! You can also break out the hand mixer and puree it if that's the texture you like. Then salt and pepper to taste. Optional ingredients that would go nicely but I didn't try are adding shredded cheese and/or sour cream to make it real rich. Again this is a low-carb recipe, not low fat. I'm not a big fan of low fat anything. GOOD FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU! However, cheese and sour cream do have saturated fat and lots of sodium, so take it easy on the dairy products.

If you care and want to keep reading, here are some benefits of eating cauliflower. In general cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage) may lower overall cancer risk, including colon and prostate cancer. Cauliflower contains a high amount of vitamin C, folate, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. And its even a antioxidant!

Cauliflower is available year round, but better and more plentiful in the Fall season. When selecting cauliflower, look for heads that are white or creamy white, firm, compact, and heavy for their size. There should not be any discoloration on the head or leaves. Like most fresh produce, for the best flavor and to get the most nutrients, eat as soon as possible. Cauliflower will keep for up to five days if stored in the crisper section of the refrigerator. Store it in an open or perforated plastic bag. Keep the head stem-side up to prevent moisture form collecting on it.

Take good care of yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Gigi, Maybe because I recently started the Medifast program, the first thought I had was, "Must be cauliflower!" Love it, love it, want more of it. I heard that cauliflower pizza is extra delicious. Thanks for another good tip on healthier living.

    ReplyDelete