Friday, March 28, 2014

Thoughts = Life

A few months ago I ran across a coupon for a group hypnosis class for weight loss. I've tried practically every diet out there so why not add this one to the list. Well to my disappointment I didn't get reprogrammed to hate carbs as I had initially hoped. I did however get some much needed instructor-led meditation along with the following message repeated throughout the session. "Be careful what you say to yourself because yourself is listening." That concept really resonated with me. The average person can have more than ten thousand thoughts in one day and majority of those thoughts are negative. Have you ever listened to your self-talk...the thoughts running wild in your head?
  • "Why did I do that? I'm so stupid"
  • "I'm fat/wide/ugly/too skinny" 
  • "I can't do [fill in the blank]"
  • "I wish I had his/her [fill in the blank]"
OR
  • "I'm so tired"
  • "I don't have the money"
  • "I'm stuck in this position"
  • "I'll never be/have [fill in goals]"
  • "Things never go right for me"

It's so easy to be critical of self, but ironically you wouldn't speak to a close friend or loved one in this manner so why do we tear ourselves down? After the hypnosis class I started to pay more attention to my thoughts. I learned that I am extremely hard on myself and impatient. At 35 I am just recognizing that my thoughts and words are little seeds that I am constantly planting in my life. I think, "I'm tired"...my body responds by sitting on the couch for hours at a time. I think, "I don't know as much as my colleague"... my confidence shrivels and I don't speak up in the meeting. I think, "my stomach looks huge"...I now struggle to believe and accept the compliments from my husband.

Okay, so the class didn't prevent me from loving bread and pasta, but it did so much more. It made me conscious of the power of my thoughts. I can control my thoughts. My attitude towards life and ultimately my happiness are within me. From now on I'm planting positive seeds. I'm only depositing GOOD STUFF in this body - physically and mentally. Just like Being Mary Jane, I started leaving post-it notes all over the house with positive affirmations and reminders to be kind and patient with myself.

A couple of books are helping me through the journey to absolute self-love. There are tons of resources on the subject. My favorite are the Hay House books. Louise Hay is the queen of the feel-good!



Take good care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment